torsdag den 7. november 2013

Atonement by Ian McEwan - Book Thoughts

I fell in love with the movie a couple of years ago and had to pick up the book. I am very happy that I did. Atonement takes place mostly in England right before and during world war II. It is divided into three parts. The first (which was also my favorite) takes place in a huge house in the country on the hottest day of 1934. 13-year-old Briony Tallis sees her older sister Cecilia and the maid's son Robbie in an odd situation by the fountain. Her imagination gets the better of her and later that evening it will change everything for all of them. Briony must atone for her actions that evening for the rest of her life.

I have so much to say that I can't get it together. I can't make the words work. So, let's talk about the writing, which was absolutely amazeballs. It is so well-written, every sentence is beautiful and the descriptions are so vivid that you feel like you are there your self. McEwan's writing is admirable all the way through.
I find many of the characters very interesting, especially Briony, who you generally dislike but you can't help but love her a little as well. She is very realistic and even though you kind of do, you can't really get your self to blame her for what she did.
I love how this book touches so many great topics. It's obviously about atonement and guilt. It is also a splendid love story, and a story of war and death. However it is also about oppressed feelings and the inability to speak of them and to speak to each other.
Atonement was a very interested read, not a quick one though and at some parts in the middle I felt like it was going a little too slowly which is odd since the first 200 pages all takes place in just one day.
I gave Atonement five out of five stars, it is one of the best books I have read this year, and the movie is also one of my favorites of all time. I recommend it to any one who appreciates amazing writing and an amazing story.

- Jamie

-- Check out the goodreads page: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6867.Atonement

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar